ERA Chair VALORTECH
To realise the full potential of the Estonian University of Life Sciences (EULS) in the development of advanced zero waste/maximum utilisation and valorisation technologies related to the food value chain (and adjacent value chains using by-products and derivatives of plant and animal origin), the new ERA Chair for Food (By)Products Valorisation Technologies (VALORTECH), an inter-unit entity will be established that brings together know-how and technological base from both Institute of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences and Institute of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences and has also linkages to EULS ´s other structural units.
RESEARCH AND INNOVATION ACTVITIES
- Optimisation of processing technologies of various food raw materials/products to produce less by-products;
- Development of effective technologies and processes for valorisation of inevitably occurring by-products and non-standard raw material by converting them into high value functional ingredients;
- Development of advanced technologies focused on application of the above-mentioned functional ingredients for increasing nutritional value and safety of various food products, including different encapsulation methods, technologies improving final product texture, sensory properties and nutritive value, and ensuring stability of these ingredients during manufacturing;
- Development of advanced technologies focused on applications of different extracted functional ingredients in various non-food products (e.g. eco-cosmetics, household chemicals, animal feed, etc.)
- Building a top-level research team that fosters excellent research
- Improving research expertise related to the VALORTECH research focus
- Improving the level of teaching and young researcher development
- Developing and teaching new specialty modules in PhD and Masters curricula
- Organising Summer/Winter schools
- Dissemination and exploitation of research results, popularising ERA Chair´s R&D topics and building (inter)national collaboration
- Articles to recognised international scientific journals
- International conferences and key events
- Workshops/ seminars, etc. targeting industry stakeholders
- Presentations in events targeting general public to popularise VALORTECH research at a broader level
- Supporting the sustainability of the Chair
The broader vision related to the creation of the ERA Chair is that the VALORTECH Chair will develop into a leading centre of excellence in development of advanced technologies for minimum waste, maximum utilisation and valorisation of various raw materials and components used in food and also non-food value chains. Project period 01.07.2018 – 30.06.2023.
ERA Chair VALORTECH has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 810630.
Ivi Jõudu Piia Pääso