Residence permits

Students from the EU

Students outside the EU

Students from the European Union 

A citizen of the European Union, a member state of the European Union Economic Area and Swiss Confederation (hereinafter an EU citizen) has a right to stay in Estonia on the basis of a valid travel document or an identity card for the period of up to three months without registration of the right of residence.

EU students must get a local ID code and register their place of residence in Estonia in the Population Register within one month upon their arrival. Please check for the detailed information HERE and turn to the Tartu Welcome Center to do it.

Ülikooli 17, Tartu

Monday-Friday 9:00-16:00, Thursdays 9:00-18:00


Estonian ID-card

For applying for the document (ID-card) which certifies the right of temporary residence, please book an appointment and address within the period of one month from the registration of your place of residence in person Tartu service point:


Riia mnt 132, 50096 Tartu

Monday - Friday: 9.00 - 17.00

612 3000

To get  the Estonian Identity Card you must submit the following documents:
• a standard application form (is filled in at the Migration Office)
• an identity document of the applicant;
• a coloured photograph sized 40x50 mm; (can be made at the Migration Office free of charge)
• a document certifying the payment of the state fee (25€) (can also be paid at the Migration Office).

The students will receive the ID card within 30 days. 


Students from outside the European Union

Please note that the application procedure for a residence permit for students outside EU may take up to 2 months. Be sure to submit your application in time. As a general rule, an applicant should submit their application for a residence permit upon arrival to Estonia on the basis of a D-visa.

For the conditions and application procedure for the Temporary residence permit for study in Estonia see the Temporary Residence Permit for study in Estonia.


To apply for a long-term (D) Visa please turn to an Estonian representation that handles visa procedures. You may find the list of representations HERE

To get a long-term (D) visa one must submit the following documents:

1.  travel document which is issued within the previous 10 years, contains at least two blank pages for visas and is valid at least 3 months after the expiration date of the visa;

2.  fully completed and signed application form;

3.  photo (size 35x45 mm);

4.  insurance policy covering expenses due to illness or injury during the period of validity of the visa, in case of a multiple entry visa until the end of the first intended period of stay;

5.  documents indicating the purpose of journey, e.g. confirmation letter from the host or documents proving that applicant is going to work in Estonia (confirmation from the employer, registration of short-term employment) or documents proving that applicant is going to study in Estonia. During the examination of an application, a consular officer may request additional documents.

6.  at the time of submission of the application, biometrical data – 10 fingerprints of the applicant is collected; children under the age of 12 and persons for whom fingerprinting is physically impossible shall be exempt from the requirement to give fingerprints;

7.  visa fee EUR 100, children 6-11 years EUR 40.


To get a temporary residence permit for study in an Estonian educational institution a student must submit the following documents:

  1. A standard application form;
  2. The form on the data concerning close relatives, spouse, family members and dependents;
  3. Confirmation of educational institution or students’ organisation (valid for up to two months);
  4. A standard curriculum vitae (except if the applicant is under 15 year of age);
  5. A document which certifies the legal income of the applicant. Lawfully earned remuneration for work, income received from lawful business activities or property, pensions, scholarships, support, benefits paid by a foreign state and the maintenance ensured by family members earning legal income are deemed to be legal income.
  6. The identity document of an applicant;
  7. A coloured photograph sized 40x50 mm;
  8. An insurance contract;
  9. A document certifying the payment of the state fee;
  10. An applicant in the status of a long-term resident of another EU Member State is required to prove such status upon applying for the residence permit.

A residence permit for study may be issued for a period of up to 1 year but no longer than the estimated duration of the studies. If the student continues his/her studies in the same educational institution, his/her residence permit may be extended by one year at a time but not for longer than one year altogether.

A student who has a residence permit for study may participate in practical training pursuant to the curriculum without a work permit. To work otherwise, the student must have a work permit and he/she may work only outside of school hours on condition that such employment does not interfere with the studies

Language requirements

Incoming students must speak and understand the language of instruction at the required level. In case of entrance into a university or institution of professional higher education the student’s language skills must meet the minimum requirements set by the educational institution.

Students must meet level B2 requirements for English proficiency according to the common European Framework of Reference for languages.

Documented evidence is needed to demonstrate English language proficiency. This could be an official letter from the university stating that the student’s English skills are sufficient to study abroad. If you have taken an international test (TOEFL, IELTS,etc) please send us a copy of the test score.