Environmental Governance and Adaptation to Climate Change
- Veterinary Medicine
- Agri-Food Business Management
- Landscape Architecture
- Environmental Governance and Adaptation to Climate Change
- Planning and Analysis in Multifunctional Forestry
- Doctoral Studies
- Exchange studies
- Courses in English for exchange students
Master of Science (MSc) in Environmental Governance and Adaptation to Climate Change
2 years, full-time, 120 ECTS credits
Unique joint diploma from two outstanding universities upon successful graduation
Application deadline for non-EU candidates: 11. April 2023
Application deadline for EU, Georgia, Turkey and citizens of Ukraine with the status of war refugees candidates: 31. May 2023
Start: September 2023
Environmental Governance and Adaption to Climate Change is a joint study programme between the Estonian University of Life Sciences and the University of Tartu. The general objective is to prepare middle managers with comprehensive and specific knowledge and practical skills, who, as specialists, are able to take responsibility and make strategic decisions to formulate and implement environmental management and environmental policy at international level, considering the climate change and the European Green Deal.
Environmental Governance and Adaptation to Climate Change (EGACC):
- focuses on high-quality, research supported education in strategically top-priority fields of sustainable development, climate change and circular economy;
- lays major emphasis on lining the curricula with latest developments regarding the implementation of the European Green Deal;
- supports theoretical knowledge with numerous practical training activities, field courses, and group projects;
- provides diverse and flexible curricula, giving students more freedom to shape their study plan regarding personal learning goals;
- focuses on green economy and its adaptation from many angles – the acquired knowledge and skills have a direct output for future career options;
- provides a unique opportunity for graduates to receive a joint diploma from two universities.
If you are interested in the future of the world and want to have a say in the rapidly changing environment, then EGACC is the programme for you. EGACC is an international programme designed to teach how to resolve social, environmental, and economic challenges the world is facing today. It covers a very broad field of subjects from policies and legislation to information technology and science in the light of various challenges caused by the climatic change. Waste issues, water shortage problems, global warming induced challenges are all the harsh reality we are facing today, and sadly it is getting worse tomorrow.
More environmental specialists are needed, world-wide on a daily basis, who can find interdisciplinary solutions to these major problems, solutions that appeal to very different audiences from governments to small businesses to individuals. During the courses you will learn and obtain skills how to build appealing cases which can help to change the humanity’s mentality towards more sustainable global economy, towards green co-operation between all fields and levels of business, politics, industry, and science.
As a student of EGACC programme you will meet like-minded young people from all over the world. We will give you the skills to effectively communicate and to work alongside various nationalities and cultures to find creative solutions to common problems. The curricula provide you with numerous opportunities to put the theoretical knowledge into practise and get a taste of what it actually feels like to work in the field of sustainability and environmental management. The programme is designed to engage and to challenge and bring out the best potential and strongest qualities in each student.
You will also encounter various top-professionals, mentors, or perhaps even future employers. As a graduate environmental manager, you will be highly valued for your practical and versatile education. A joint diploma from the two universities will be an attractive asset in your portfolio when entering the job market.
EGACC courses are structured into 4 major blocks:
- courses that focus on fundamental skills and knowledge necessary for all environmental governance specialists;
- specialisation courses that allow students to focus on a narrower field of interest, either in climate, atmospheric processes and remote sensing; ecotechnology, water management and treatment; or circular economy and waste recovery;
- elective speciality courses that broaden interdisciplinary knowledge, provide practical and application-based approach to learning;
- optional courses which enable personal growth and widening horizons based on students´ educational goals and personal or professional interests.
I semester: European Union Green Deal, Environmental Management and Policy, Pollutants in Environment and Ecotoxicology, Atmospheric and Climate Sciences, Material Cycles and Energy Flows. In addition, one course selected from the following: Environmental Goods and Services, Blue-Green Infrastructures, or Mineral Resources of Future and Mining Technologies.
II semester: Waste Management and Circular Economy, Intro to Environmental Legislation, Participation and Environmental Governance, Research Methodology, Environmental Goods and Services, Introduction to Ecotechnology. In addition, 29 ECTS of specialisation courses will be elected from climate, atmospheric processes and remote sensing; ecotechnology, water management and treatment; or circular economy and waste beneficiation submodules.
III semester: Practical Training in Environmental Monitoring and Sampling, Applied Fluid Mechanics. In addition, 15 ECTS of specialisation courses will be elected from climate, atmospheric processes and remote sensing; ecotechnology, water management and -treatment; or circular economy and waste beneficiation submodules.
IV semester: Master’s Thesis
To see the detailed course distribution over the four semesters please visit ÕIS.
As an EGACC MSc graduate you will be able to find career opportunities in broad range of sustainable economy and environment-related options world-wide. You can find a position in government, industry, EU bodies, NGOs. You can also pursue a career in international organisations like the World Bank and the OECD. You can also continue as an entrepreneur or enrol in PhD programmes to pursue an academic career instead.
- 5 targeted scholarships for outstanding students with Estonian citizenship; 1 targeted scholarship for an outstanding student with EU citizenship.
- 2 targeted scholarships for citizens of Ukraine with the status of war refugees.
- Various options to apply for country-specific or external scholarships.
- Various possibilities for outstanding students to join funded research groups.
- Estonia is a very unique e-society, with electronic ID-cards, e-government, e-health, e-school and much more (www.e-estonia.com).
- It is Europe’s start-up hot-spot!
- One of the safest countries in the world.
- Ranks 2nd place for internet freedom in the world.
- Beautiful nature and unique culture.
There is a one-time application fee for all students € 100 (applicants who have completed previous study level in Estonia or have Estonian citizenship are exempted from the application fee). The yearly tuition fee is € 3800.
Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree and be ready to give an online interview.
Programme duration: 2 years
Degree: Master of Science (MSc)
Application fee: 100 euros (non-refundable)
Tuition fee: 3800 EUR/year
Two targeted scholarships for citizens of Ukraine with the status of war refugees
Admission will open:
February 1, 2023
April 11, 2023 (non-EU candidates)
May 31, 2023 (EU, Georgian, UK, Turkish and citizens of Ukraine with the status of war refugees candidates)